So the new driveway is done. It’s an improvement. I failed to take a “before” picture and even looked for an older photo without success. Among the thousands of pictures we’ve taken of the front garden there was not a single one that showed what the driveway looked like. That in itself should tell you something.
The driveway went back to the original construction of the house. Most of it consisted of two long concrete tracks with rectangular beds of mud or unhappy grass in-between. The tracks had many fractures, plus they weren’t quite wide enough so there were deep tire prints on one side. So when a trench had to be dug anyway to fix the sewer, we bit the bullet and decided to have the whole driveway replaced, along with the path to the front steps.
We went with pavers. They are more costly, but they look better with the garden, don’t they? Also they are somewhat more for rainwater.
The crew removed the pavers on one side that made the Driveway Border a raised bed. I do intend to put them back. Honestly, I’m not quite sure if I gained or lost space for the flowers here. The construction work affected a wider area than what you see because there’s a brace on either side that takes up another 4 inches.
Before construction, I removed some of the plants likely to be damaged: Catmint (Nepeta ‘Kit Kat’), Culver’s Root (Veronicastrum virginicum), Wild Bergamont (Monarda fistulosa). Most of these will be put back.
But it also seems I had some unanticipated losses. The most distressing is the Butterflyweed (Asclepias tuberosa). I’ll probably buy new plants, but they take a while to get established. Fortunately, I have some nice patches of Butterflyweed elsewhere.
Of course, as many friends have pointed out, this is also an opportunity to make some changes with new plants! I have plans, believe me, which I will be sharing in the near future.
There had been a long, narrow triangle of a bed in front of the shrub rose ‘Cassie’. This has been shortened and squared off. Makes it easier to put my containers here.
Well, I’ve got to go. Lot’s of work to do!