Embarrassing Garden Moments and Garden Book Giveaway
So my Garden Book Giveaway project has not exactly been proceeding according to schedule. Initially it was supposed to be every Wednesday, then every other Wednesday. Now it’s pretty much a random event. I think this is what physicists call entropy.
However, all is not lost. For today we are giving away another garden book. This time it’s Succulents: The Ultimate Guide to Choosing, Designing, and Growing 200 Easy-Care Plants, by Robin Stockwell.
To win this book, you must answer the following question in the comments:
What has been your most embarrassing gardening experience?
As always, the winning answer will be selected by a panel of unindicted Chicago Aldermen, along with a special guest panelist. This week’s guest is soon-to-be former Secretary of State Rex Tillerson. Rex has the distinction of being the first U.S. Secretary of State to be fired via Twitter, which really underlines the grave importance of the job.
Please submit your answers by Monday at 12 PM. Regrettably, only residents of the USA and Canada can win the book.
I’m going to kick things off by sharing my own embarrassing garden moment (and no, I’m not competing to win – I already have the book).
When I was 14, I helped my brother Richard and his college friend Julian run their summer landscaping business. This was in suburban Long Island, outside NYC.
One day we were working on a home located at the end of a downward sloping drive. The drive was bordered by an ivy-covered stone retaining wall. My job was to clip back the ivy using an electric hedge trimmer owned by the client.
There were electric outlets, but these were located next to lighting fixtures at the top of the wall (do you see where this is heading yet?). So the power cord is hanging down from above the level where I am working on the ivy.
Sure enough, after a while I feel this warm, intensely tingly sensation where my hands are holding the hedge trimmer. I looked down to discover that the power cord, partially cut, is caught between the teeth of the hedge trimmer. Also, that I am slowly electrocuting myself.
Long story short: after alerting my brother, we made a quick run to a friendly hardware store where we bought and installed a new power cord. Our clients were none the wiser, but I was not allowed to use electric tools for the rest of the summer.
OK, your turn.