So when the contractors put in our new driveway, they cut a slice out of the planting area for the Driveway Border and the little bed along the west side of the house where the Clematis ‘Jackmanii’ is planted.
More than that, they left a gap of 4-6 inches between the level of the edging and the level of the plant crowns. It’s hard to see in this picture, but trust me. It was a particular problem with the Clematis, where some of the roots were left exposed.
Of course in this time of global pandemic I couldn’t just drive down to the hardware store. But thanks to the magic of the internet, I did find a company called Edge Right selling 4 foot strips of steel landscape edging.
Within a few days, it had arrived!
These strips were intended to be hammered right into the ground. The instructions recommended using a piece of wooden 2×4 between the hammer and the edging. I didn’t find any 2×4, but in the kids’ room I did find a 2004 ESPN Sports Almanac. That did the trick. I knew there was a reason we kept those around!
Some handy stakes were also included.
Once I had the metal strips installed, I filled in with topsoil obtained from edging the borders. It looks a little makeshift, as the edging does not go the full length of the border, but I think it’s ok. For most of the season it will be covered in foliage.
Here it is by the Clematis. I do worry that this year’s Clematis ‘Jackmanii’ won’t be as magnificent as in past years, since it has lost some of its roots and some of its root run.
It’s just now coming out of dormancy, so we should have a better idea in a few weeks. In any case, the added inches of topsoil should help.