We put up our new trellises the other day, and I’m pretty happy with them. These were the 9′ Panacea Giant Wall Trellises I wrote about earlier. They’re certainly a big improvement.
Judy and I installed them so that the bottom is a couple feet above the ground, and so the trellises still reach all the way to the top of the wall. I may hang a little netting at the bottom to help the vines reach the trellises.
Anyway, here’s the old trellis. Looks pretty trashy by comparison, if you ask me.
The trellises have brackets on the back which hang onto nails or screws you fix to the wall. Since this was a brick wall we had to use a masonry drill bit and masonry screws. We positioned the second trellis so that it partially rests on the front door landing.
Here’s an important tip from the pros: on your power drill, just above the trigger, there is a little horizontal switch which can be set to F (for Forward) or R (for Reverse). It is MUCH easier drilling into a wall if the little switch is set to F. Please don’t ask how long it took us to figure this out.
In other news, there are a few more Crocuses in bloom. Here they were open wide to enjoy one of the few sunny days we’ve had lately. Pretty sure this is Crocus tommasinianus.
And these, I think, are C. chrysanthus ‘Blue Pearl’.
This one should be ‘Goldilocks’.
Also the Hellebores (Helleborus orientalis) have begun to bloom, though the plants have just started to fill out.
Today it was cold and rainy again, so I pinched off a baker’s dozen blooms and set them in a bowl of water. I’ve always wanted to do that. Please disregard my foot at the lower right corner.
Spring may be progressing slowly, but it is progressing. And I’m feeling quite accomplished that we got the new trellises up. Now to count the days until the Clematis vines wake up and cover the wall with blooms.